PALETTE AND PROPERTIES OF WOOD SPECIES USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF SAUNAS
Decided to build wooden sauna house or any other wooden construction? We suggest you, to purchase a set of samples MINI . Our sample pack will give you a better idea of how timber looks and feels like. Both sets include the most popular wooden materials used in the construction of sauna and guest houses. We recommend a combination of darker and lighter timber to give your sauna modern and unique look. You can see more photos in our gallery.
Certified by wood manufacturer
1. AbachiAbachi – a palm tree with a pore structure that grows in the tropics. Has a small density that prevents heat lining even at the highest temperature in the sauna room. When the temperature rises in the sauna, the abachi wood takes the temperature of the air, but as soon as you touch the wood, it immediately takes the temperature of the human body. Wood is smooth, without knots and resin, quite soft, moisture resistant, easy to work with, often has a colour from cream to straw yellow.
2. AspenAspen wooden panels are widely used for decoration of sauna, due to its low density, lack of resin and a small amount of knots. Useful specs of aspen explains high tannins content, which not only greatly reduce the ability of wood to rot in a humid environment, but also gives it a distinctive incredible smell. Aspen lining does not crack, easily processed and performs well in high humidity conditions.
Linden - one of the most famous healing trees. Not only its flowers and honey have useful properties. The same qualities are characteristic has Linden timber.
When heated, the liinden board produces a pleasant smell and a some essential oils that have bactericidal and anti-inflammatory properties, help to avoid a cold or to remove its syndromes.
High humidity helps preserve and enhance properties of linden wood, making it an ideal material for sauna.
The use of linden in the decoration of saunas is also explained by the whole complex of useful properties inherent in this type of wood: it has a relaxing and restorative effect, creates positive energy aura.
The wood has a pleasant light color, which does not change even after a long time.
It should be especially noted that the tree has a homogeneous structure and knots are rarely found, which significantly increases the value of linden.
4. AshAsh wood is the most valuable hardwood. Ash lining is very sturdy timber. It is pretty tough and tight, and recalls the specs of oak wood. Wood texture is expressive and bright, that is why it is often used for the manufacture of interior finishes, trim and sauna walls.
5. Alder liningAlder wood becomes very popular in the building and construction of sauna or guest houses. The reason is a very low thermal conductivity, strength, allowing alder to become a great material for wooden design. In addition, alder finishing has a low hygroscopic, absorbs very little moisture. The combination of these qualities with durability makes alder wood the best option for the sauna construction. There is another quality that distinguishes alder finishing from other methods. Alder has an unusual colour, like a coffee coloured wood. Under the influence of humidity and temperature timber can change colour and acquire a different shade, so alder interior decoration in the construction of the sauna looks more impressive.
6. CedarDue to the main characteristics of the Canadian Red Cedar - durability, excellent smell, natural resistance to decay and insects, geometric stability and high insulating ability ... its field of use is very significant. It is recommended for use in interiors of the house and in saunas.
Heat treatmentHeat treated wood is an advanced tree. The heat treatment process occurs as follows: well - dried wood is placed in a special room without oxygen (the wood does not burn at higher temperatures without oxygen) filled with steam. Then the wood is heated with high temperature, from 200 to 240 C. After this process the wood has saturated dark brown shade over the entire thickness , whereby thermo wood looks like expensive exotic timber. The heat treated wood is moisture resistance and does not rot.
7. Thermo AspenHeat treatment method makes the wood to absorb less water under similar humidity conditions, and its shrinkage becomes minimal and increases resistance to environment. Linden, abachi, alder, ash and some other species are most often heat treated. All this material is used for finishing baths or saunas.
8. Thermo PoplarPoplar is a hardwood tree very similar to aspen in its properties and appearance. They belong to the same family. The poplar, as well as aspen, does not emit tar, splinter free and does not heat up. As the material is well suited for heat treatment. Distributed throughout Europe, grows in North and Central Africa and in West Asia.
9. Thermo SpruceScandinavian spruce grown specifically as raw material for the production of decorative lining, which is widely used for the wall cladding, saunas, terraces, etc. Scandinavian spruce is processed by special technology of thermal treating. Spruce lining has a light yellow colour with lots of small knots. Spruce wood is mostly accepted to perceive as a decorative element. The main advantage of spruce lining is a durability, due to high resin content, protecting the wood from rotting.
10. Thermo MagnoliaMagnolia is very similar to aspen. The main feature of this tree is a unique view. Since the magnolia tree is large enough, it can be used to produce wide and long boards.
11. Thermo Aspen DarkBecause of the heat treatment method, the wood during an explanation period absorbs less water under similar humidity conditions, and its shrinkage becomes minimal and increases resistance to environment. Linden, abachi, alder, ash and some other species are most often heat - treated. All this material is the most often used for finishing baths or saunas.
12. Thermo AlderThe usual alder after heat treatment turns into elite wood. Modern technology helps to improve the properties of wood, strengthen it and also repaint in any colour without losing natural look. Heat treatment of wood allows you to paint it all over the thickness and give the usual alder the look of an elite tree.
13. Thermo PineOne of the most popular types of timber, thanks to exploitation period. Thermo pine will serve to the whole generation of your family. Thermo Pine is an excellent natural material for use in interior decoration. Pine itself is a soft timber, but after heating under the steam 190-215 °C wood gets rid of tar and extra humidity and gains strength and durability.
14. Thermo Ash
Thermo ash is a natural and environmental - safe material, a product of timber hot steam treatment. This procedure improves boards properties changing them on a molecular level.
Processed product becomes more durable and flexible. Moisture, fungus and mold resistance being improved, what makes timber life cycle longer.